Monday, March 22, 2010

More Rush Limbaugh



My three words for this project were Surreal, Contest, and powdered charcoal. I didn't want to use the word surreal in such a predictable way, so I decided to think about real things in this world that I perceive as surreal. Case in point, the popularity of Rush Limbaugh. I've posted about him before, and done plenty of drawings of him. It's hard to find a more misleading person at his level of talk radio. I used to listen to his show somewhat regularly, and his arguments are filled with fallacy. Anyway, without saying any more about the man, I decided to draw him as the fictional character Casey from "Casey at the Bat". It's titled "Champion of America".

As far as the drawing goes, I wanted to keep it loose, yet controlled. Rather than using a dip pen like I usually do, I used a brush to ink the entire thing. It gave me some very interesting lines which I enjoy. It was a bit more difficult to get a likeness since I had a little less control with the brush, but It turned out okay. To add the value, I shaved a little pile of charcoal off a stick, watered it down and used it just like watercolors. It worked out pretty well. I was hoping that it would be easy to erase in the event of a mistake, but that didn't work out as planned. All in all, I think it was a success. At the very least I was able to experiment with a new process.

1 comment:

Jennifer Richardson said...

Hahaha this is really nice.. I think this piece works very well with your words.. I also liked how you wrote about your process, and how you used your materials in making this drawing.

Ps. I hope you replied to MaryJo's email a few weeks back about someone looking for an illustrator!