Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Drawing III Introduction

Last year in drawing III I began drawing editorial cartoons. I had done a few every now and then previously, but getting the chance to extensively study the craft was very beneficial for me. I've always had an interest in politics. Editorial cartoons and similar social commentary add to the political discourse in a rather humorous way, and that really excites me. In addition cartoons and illustration rely on a lot of drawing which, I've found, always has a way of presenting new and interesting challenges.

With regards to illustration, I've been fortunate in doing commission work for several publications for the last two years or so. My freelance work hasn't always involved a ton of creativity on my end. The art directors have tended to be pretty specific in what they want. It's harder to find my own voice in the images. However, finding the joy in drawing and painting them has not been a problem.

I've been experimenting with a variety of mediums, some more traditional than others. Pen and ink drawings create the bulk of my work while I have been doing a bit of digital painting as well. I find that a tactile piece of artwork is much more enjoyable to create. Ink, graphite, and watercolors can create effects that will never be replaced with a computer. Digital media does have some benefits as well, such as speed and making corrections easily.

I've posted some of my recent cartoons and illustrations below.








3 comments:

Jenna Rieder said...

Your comics are hilarious and really clever!

lordmarcus said...

Thanks a lot Jenna! I really appreciate it.

robb miller said...

These are awesome! You should be published in Time, New Yorker and newspapers!!