Sunday, December 7, 2008

Merry Christmahanaquanza




Well, it's that time of year again. The holiday seasons are upon us along with all the hustle and bustle. I did this Christmas card of my girlfriend and myself that'll be getting sent out pretty quick here. This was a pretty fun piece to do. I was hoping to get a Norman Rockwell, Christmas nostalgia feel. It's no Rockwell by any means, but I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't gotten a chance to do much coloring in photoshop this semester, which I dont mind too much. I normally prefer to color my drawings more traditionally with watercolors, but this drawing lent itself pretty well to the digital tools.

On a side note, after taking my first life drawing class, I have a much greater appreciation for the work of Norman Rockwell, and many other artists and illustrators. His ability to capture the candid moments, expressions, vitality, and life of his subjects was simply astounding. It comes as no surprise that Rockwell is by far the most successful and well respected illustrator in American history.

No comments: