Thursday, March 12, 2009

Skeleton Drawings



This first drawing had a couple good things about it, but I keep finding more things that I dont like. The first is the size and shape of the rib cage. It feels off, and the sternum doesn't seem to be pushing out as much as it should. Also, it looks a little too narrow and not egg shaped. The spine, though the curve is good, just looks awkward. I think it has to do with how I drew in the vertebrae. It gives a feeling that its twisting to the side. All that aside, I will say I rather enjoyed how the little dude at the top turned out.



This drawing turned out much better than the previous one. I simplified the spine quite a bit, and that seemed to help me to not get wrapped up in the small details. I enjoyed how a lot of the values in this drawing turned out, especially in the rib cage. That being said, the rib cage was a huge frustration for me in this drawing. It started with the thoracic curve of the spine being tilted too far forward, and consequently the rib cage didnt have that "egg" shape. So with a little correction, I straightened it out a bit and the front of the rib slopes forward quite nicely.



Anatomically speaking, I think this has been one of my more successful drawings. The rib cage does look like its pulling to far forward in space. I wish I would have made some more extreme value changes to make the forms really pop. One thing I know I need to work on is varying my line weight and value, most notably in the rib cage. It really tends to flatten it out, but I find it frustrating to get the ribs correct with out going over them several times with several lines.




I really enjoyed drawing the legs for some reason. I guess it was just a good chance to really slow down and observe all the little variations along the bones. I think the tibia and fibula got a little short on the left leg. I really tried to push the variation in line weight and value in this one, and I think it paid off for the most part. Some parts flatten out a little bit though.

No comments: