Tuesday, November 11, 2008







The first drawing was one of our earlier long poses. Although some aspects of my drawings have improved a bit since, I think I captured the model pretty well in this drawing. The first thing I noticed was the pose of the model. I depicted the contrapasto stance naturally. The models weight seems to be situated on the right leg and the musculature and angles of the long axes reflect that. I also made a good attempt at adding a variety of line weights and values. At times the figure is a bit outlined, but I think with the lighter thinner lines contrasting it, it is less apparent. I added some value rendering to show the musculature. At this point we hadn't discussed the muscle groups of the posterior view, so I was just going on what I saw. For the most part, I think I got it spot on, but there are some inconsistencies.

The second drawing is one the later long poses. The model's pose in this one was pretty interesting. I had started off putting in with a fair amount of detail, the long axes, rib cage, pelvis etc. Then I began rendering the muscle groups that we've discussed. I had a good foreshortened view of the model's right thigh which was fun to draw. I think I needed to add some darker values on the inside of the thigh to make that more apparent, however, it turned out okay. I think I did a good job drawing the abdomen as well as the proportions between the abdomen and limbs. The head and neck are a little off from where they should be. Again I used a good variety in line weight and value. I think I could have lightened up the far left arm, but with the value I added to the muscles, it isnt too distracting.

The third drawing was another of our earlier poses. With this one I was really pleased with my depiction of the rib cage and pelvis. Although the pelvis was angled towards me, and the rib cage away, I messed up the proportions between the two a bit. Also, the model was leaning away from me and I made the torso a little too long for the pose. But never-the-less, I really enjoyed how the long axis of the spine turned out. I rather enjoyed rendering this drawing. I got a little too caught up with the rendering however, and consequently the gesture of the model suffered. But it was still a good chance to really examine the rib cage to the fullest.

4 comments:

jennieekstrand said...

One thing I find interesting when looking at your drawings is that I find traces of the caricature style. Do you find you add in these elements intentionally or do you think they show up as it is simply a part of your own artistic style? I see it in the 2nd pose especially in the face.

lordmarcus said...

When in life drawing, I try to leave all things caricature at the door. One of my coworkers once told me that he had a lot of trouble not doing some exaggeration, or cartooning of the model while doing life drawing. So I kind of came into the class half expecting it to happen with my drawings as well. I think it's more to do with the countless number of retail caricatures that we've drawn. Just some habits that sneak into the drawings. Right now I'm somewhat torn as to whether I should embrace those things in my figure drawing, or really strive to eliminate them.

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

the right hip is the strongest point in this drawing. you come to this class with excellent drawing background and skills, so there are many ways your drawings are good.

however, keep really pushing yourself to go beyond what you know now. for example, on ashley, look at the center line of the torso. see how it lines up to be close to vertical all the way down the rib cage, belly, and pelvis. to make this drawing believable and dynamic, you need to have a diagonal line for the sternum that is moving out as it comes down (to match the thoracic curve of the spinal column) and a diagonal line moving back toward the left side of the paper as you move into the lower belly and pelvis. also, a more clear indication of plane changes in the pelvis, between the front and left planes would give this drawing a more three-dimensional feel.

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

in the drawing of the female figure, the spinal column is curved way too much in the thoracic region--bring the center long axis all the up to the neck and then you would have it more correct. the torso overall is a bit long, proportion-wise.