Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gumby on the disection table






Now that we've covered the leg muscles, I'd have to say that the quadriceps, hamstrings, and adductors have been the most fun to build. The first of these that I built were the quadriceps. When It was just that muscle group, the femur seemed very bare and I kept wanting to add more volume to the quads. Then I added the adductors which again, didn't make much sense to me until more of the leg was put together. As soon as I started working on the hamstrings, things started taking shape. But it took a lot of faith for me to keep adding the long slender semimembranosus, semitendinosus, and biceps femoris. With the exception of the biceps femoris, I couldn't wrap my mind around the individual muscles thing lengthy look. I always thought of the hamstrings as big and massive. But once I got that whole muscle group together, it made a lot more sense, and my suspicions were put to rest. The anterior view still seemed very strange, but once again, when I added the sartorius muscle, it filled in the gaps(no pun intended). I had a complete thigh/upper leg.

I started to notice that my gluteus muscle group had a bit too much mass to it. I started to smush it down a little, but its still a little to big when you look at it from a front 3/4 view. With a little more trimming, the problem will be corrected.

1 comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

Marc,
It looks like you're missing the peroneus longus, peroneus brevis, peroneus tertius, extensor digitorum longus, extensor hallucis longus--and check the attachments of the gastrocnemius--they need to come up to the condyles of the femur and hook over them, leaving the diamond shape at the back of the knee. It looks like the whole posterior leg (not thigh) is off-kilter to the medial side.

Thigh and other muscles, from these photos, look good.

Craft is awesome, well-built.