Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Its the long and short (pose) of it




I want to say my ten minute pose is the more successful of the two drawings. I think the overall structure of the drawing is okay. I have a variety in line weight and value, but I didn't get a chance to render those lines correctly over the ten minute span. The left shoulder is a much darker line than the closer right shoulder. If I had a couple more minutes, I could have fixed that. The long axis of the rib cage wasn't angled quite as much as the model, and I wish i would have exaggerated that a bit more. Something that I want to start doing more of is disregarding the outlines of the figure and concentrate on the long axes, rib cage, and now the muscle groups. That has been the goal of the course so far this semester, but I find it hard to get away from drawing the outlines after I loosely draw in the long axes, rib cage, and pelvis. Something I'll be working on.

In the second drawing, I think I could have done much better on the overall structure of the figure. I attempted to show some foreshortening especially in the right leg and foot. It got way too long, so the foot and lower leg look rather awkward. There are also foreshortening problems in the torso and hips. One thing I do like is how I rendered the rib cage. I feel like I got the correct angle and foreshortening. As for the technique goes, I used a good variety of values in the lines, but it might have helped to use a greater variety of line weights to help push the head and shoulders(not the shampoo) further back. Over all, this was a very challenging angle for me to draw, and I hope I get to take another stab at it soon. I think I could do a much more naturalistic drawing.

I really enjoy doing the longer poses, but I don't these two drawings reflect that very well. The 10 minute drawing looks much more relaxed. The 50 minute pose looks very awkward and parts of it dont even seem very human. But if I can slow myself down a bit on the longer poses and do a good gesture of the pose, then build in the basic structures of it before I get all gunghoe about rendering the surface of the figure.

No comments: